Frequently Asked Questions
Am I able to have driving lessons in my own/family or friends car?
Under certain circumstances, customers may want to receive lessons in their own/family vehicle. This is a good idea where the car will be used for a Driver’s Test. It is also a good idea when a learner has a new car and wishes to familiarise themselves with it prior to licensing. Safe Drive Driving School is able to offer customers training in their vehicle, provided the vehicle is registered, roadworthy and comprehensively insured.
Prior to any training being conducted in the customer’s vehicle, the instructor should inspect the vehicle for its roadworthiness. The inspection should include, but is not limited to, a check of the following items;
- the registration label is valid, current, intact and displayed appropriately
- the vehicle is comprehensively insured and the customer’s insurance company is notified that it will be used by a driving instructor to conduct training in
- The tyres:
- all indicators, headlights and brake lights are working
- seats and seat belts are in good working order and are not damaged or twisted
- any loose items in the cabin of the vehicle are stowed in the cargo (boot) area
- the windows and interior are clean
- the vehicle has sufficient petrol to last the course of the lesson (minimum requirement – a quarter of a tank)
Are automatic cars easier to drive?
Automatic car is easy to drive. Some people get overwhelmed trying to learn to drive manual car. They find it so difficult that they give up driving altogether. Such people should definitely learn to drive only automatic car. There is no point in buying a manual car and keeping it in the garage because of inability to drive.
How do I book my driving test?
- You can make an appointment online for a knowledge or road test to obtain a Class 5 driver’s licence.
To make an appointment for a knowledge or road test to obtain any driver’s licence, you must be at least 16 years of age.
On the day of the test
Have on hand:
- the Consent of a Person Having Parental Authority (PDF, 103 KB) ( If you are not yet 16)
- The identity documents and other documents specified in your appointment confirmation
Consult the table listing the costs for obtaining a licence for various classes of driver’s licence.
Note: Licence fee instalment payments can only be made from your personal bank account.
How many lessons will I need to learn to drive?
Register For a SAAQ Driving Course & Theoretical Training
It is mandatory to register for and complete a Driver Education course before you can get a Quebec learners permit. In order to begin the registration process, you need to first complete a required driver questionnaire. Once you have completed the questionnaire you can then register for a Quebec driving course that is recognized by the Association québécoise des transports. You will be provided with a code that will allow you to access and learn the training materials on the Road Safety Education Program website. The main components of the Quebec SAAQ Driver Education program are:
- a 24-hour theoretical component
- a 15-hour practical on-road component with a licensed driving monitor
- A self-study component that is divided up into 4 distinct phases/12 modules
- A thorough learning of the Quebec Driver’s Handbook and Driving a Passenger Vehicle publication.
Complete Phase 1 of Driver Education
While you need to complete all 4 modules to get your Quebec Class 5 licence, for the Class 5 learner stage (Quebec learners permit) you must complete the 4 modules of Phase 1 of the driving course. Once you’ve completed Phase 1 (4 modules) of the SAAQ approved driving course, you need to pass the knowledge test given by your driving school. This SAAQ knowledge test will cover all the material you’ve already learned and will mark the completion of your phase 1 driving course.
I started my courses elsewhere and I would like to switch over to Qazi Driving School. Is this possible?
When do the next theory classes start?
To learn about the theory class schedule in your area, you must contact us. Schedules are flexible. New classes begin each week.
Why do some students fail their driving test so many times?
Many factors can explain numerous failures of the SAAQ test:
Based on the feedback we get from students, stress is often an important factor that explains failing the test. To overcome stress, we suggest that you practice driving with a number of people and in a variety of locations.
- Lack of practice
The Road Safety Education Program consists of 15 in-car sessions of 55 minutes each, and this is usually sufficient for the majority of people, provided they are able to practice between each lesson. It is important to know that a number of students need additional classes to consolidate specific knowledge (e.g.: parking). The SAAQ has established 15 x 55 minutes as a reference to obtain a driving certificate, but it is very common that a student may need 20 or even 30 hours of practice.